Austin Finley Hansford

Monday, January 5, 2009

Pregnancy - Second Trimester

At my monthly doctor's appointment I had the Glucose Tolerance Test, where they test for gestational diabetes. They make you drink a really, really, really gross drink an hour before giving blood. I'll know the results in about 5 days. My weight gain was a little high this month, but the doctor said that he was not concerned as it appears that most of it was due to swelling and, of course, the holidays. He followed up that the swelling isn't a concern either, as it is common to have a lot of swelling in your first pregnancy. My blood pressure went down to 116/80, which is exciting, as this was my "last chance" to bring it down before they started a series of other tests for preclampsia.

I asked the doctor about the baby being breech and he stated that he will be able to tell if he is still breech (without an ultrasound) at 31 weeks. If, at 35 weeks, the baby still appears to be breech then he will do an ultrasound. Until then, I am not to worry. I also asked about my arms and hands going numb a lot and said that it is a form of carpal tunnel that will go away after pregnancy and not to worry.

I don't think that I will ever tire of hearing the baby's heart beat.

No comments: