Austin Finley Hansford

Monday, January 12, 2009

Pregnancy - Second Trimester

There is plenty of research on stimulating babies through music, reading, talking, contact, etc after they are born. For obvious reasons, however, there is very limited research on stimulating babies inside the womb. What little research that there is tries to make a correlation between heart rate inside the womb during stimulation and heart rate after birth during stimulation and then suggests that because stimulation after birth has proven effects upon increased motor skills and earlier communication, that stimulation in the womb will lead to the same effects. There are others that suggests that such stimulation could be harmful, leading to such things as hearing loss, ADD/ADHD, etc.

Brian and I have decided to take a middle of the road approach. Brian downloaded some Mozart onto my .mp3-player and I place headphones on my stomach every other night for 30 minutes before I go to bed. Though we haven't started reading to the baby, we do talk to him a lot and I rub my tummy a lot.

No comments: